Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mr_evil

Some questions about Iceland

50 posts in this topic

It just seems like a nice place... nice viking climate, people can speak danish (well some of them), military people to hang out with, germanic population, nice girls, half deserted villages for antisocial people like me, cheap electricity etc

I also hear you people like to party... since you are always bored or something

Obviously you´re at the wrong location, or the wrong planet seemingly. :rolleyes:

You don't suppose any of you could find out more about the gun and prostitution laws?

As for drugs, well I don't do them, but I value a society's libertarianness based on its drug laws, so it's a small reduction for Iceland... But I'm used to fascist drug laws in Sweden and I don't do them so it's more of a theoretic disadvantage for me.

You don't suppose any of you could find out more about the gun and prostitution laws?

As for drugs, well I don't do them, but I value a society's libertarianness based on its drug laws, so it's a small reduction for Iceland... But I'm used to fascist drug laws in Sweden and I don't do them so it's more of a theoretic disadvantage for me.

All I really know about gun laws is that you have to have a license to have one and a locker to store it in. Shotguns are cheap, but lockers aint. You'll need a clean record in order to get gun license and also take some class. That is, if you dont have the license already.

There are loads of hunters who shoot ducks, Rjúpa, goose and reindeer aswell. A license to shoot a reindeer is very expensive.

As of prostitutes, it's illegal to be one or buy one. I even think it's hard to get a hooker here, at least harder than where you've lived.

Carrying drugs is illegal, but this country is like any other one. You can always get drugs if you try to. Prices just go up and down according to how successful the customs are on catching those smugglers.

;) :ph34r:

All I really know about gun laws is that you have to have a license to have one and a locker to store it in. Shotguns are cheap, but lockers aint. You'll need a clean record in order to get gun license and also take some class. That is, if you dont have the license already.

There are loads of hunters who shoot ducks, Rjúpa, goose and reindeer aswell. A license to shoot a reindeer is very expensive.

Jeg har boet i Danmark og kan godt læse og snakke dansk men jeg har aldrig været god til at skrive det men nu vil jeg gerne prøve (imellem vil jeg bruge engelsk i steden for danske order jeg ikke kender).

Dette qoute her er ikke helt korrekt. Man skal have et låst skab hvis man ejer mere end tre skydevåbner.

Til at få skydevåbenslicence skal man være mindst 20 år gammel og have clean record. Først skal man have en skydevåbenskurs. Den varer 2 dager og ender med examen. Men hvis du gerne vil bruge dit våben til noget andet en target practice så skal du også have en jagtkurs. Den varer også 2 dager og ender med examen.

Når du har fået din skydevåbenslicence kan du eje shotguns med pumpe action og .22 kaliber rifler. Men efter et år kan du også eje halvautomatiske shotguns og større rifler. Jeg tror at (meget) senere kan man så eje pistoler og andre slags våbner. Men så skal man have været medlem i skydevåbensklub i mange år.

Jeg har boet i Danmark og kan godt læse og snakke dansk men jeg har aldrig været god til at skrive det men nu vil jeg gerne prøve (imellem vil jeg bruge engelsk i steden for danske order jeg ikke kender).

Dette qoute her er ikke helt korrekt. Man skal have et låst skab hvis man ejer mere end tre skydevåbner.

Til at få skydevåbenslicence skal man være mindst 20 år gammel og have clean record. Først skal man have en skydevåbenskurs. Den varer 2 dager og ender med examen. Men hvis du gerne vil bruge dit våben til noget andet en target practice så skal du også have en jagtkurs. Den varer også 2 dager og ender med examen.

Når du har fået din skydevåbenslicence kan du eje shotguns med pumpe action og .22 kaliber rifler. Men efter et år kan du også eje halvautomatiske shotguns og større rifler. Jeg tror at (meget) senere kan man så eje pistoler og andre slags våbner. Men så skal man have været medlem i skydevåbensklub i mange år.

Du skriver jo skidegodt! Hvis jeg kommer til Island så kan du jo være min guide :P

Tak for informationen!

Hvis du haaber at finde mange rigtige "libertarians" (libertiner ?) paa Island saa vil det være svært. Nogle faa findes, men fleste som kalder sig "libertarians" er ikke "rigtige libertiner", men kun i nogle sager. Til exempel, de fleste saakadle islenske libertiner stötter kriged Irak og den kæmpestore kriguppbyggning i USA!

(Undskyld, jeg skriver dansk er ikke saa godt og jeg har ikke dansk nöglebord. Men jeg kan godt læse og tale dansk og de fleste her skulle kunne at læse dansk)

Hvis du haaber at finde mange rigtige "libertarians" (libertiner ?) paa Island saa vil det være svært. Nogle faa findes, men fleste som kalder sig "libertarians" er ikke "rigtige libertiner", men kun i nogle sager. Til exempel, de fleste saakadle islenske libertiner stötter kriged Irak og den kæmpestore kriguppbyggning i USA!

OK. Jeg er ikke heller nogen 100% libertarian. Forresten, hvis der er en af jer der har lyst til at hjælpe mig med artiklen om Island, så ville det være fedt :LOL

(Undskyld, jeg skriver dansk er ikke saa godt og jeg har ikke dansk nöglebord. Men jeg kan godt læse og tale dansk og de fleste her skulle kunne at læse dansk)

Du skriver mindst ligeså godt som mig. Jeg har boet i Sverige i næsten hele mit liv, er bedre til svensk faktisk.

Urrghh, I need to do the article within the next two weeks. Could use some assistance. Again, it's supposed to be an article on moving to Iceland (with a EuroHacker twist).

Urrghh, I need to do the article within the next two weeks. Could use some assistance. Again, it's supposed to be an article on moving to Iceland (with a EuroHacker twist).

Don't you have to move to Iceland before you can write the article? :LOL

Maybe it will help you to check up on a few websites. There is immigration at http://www.utl.is/index.php?bId=73 but of course you don't have to worry about them if you are Scandinavian. There is the international house at http://www.ahus.is/framesENG.htm

The congress website is at http://www.althingi.is/vefur/uppldan.html

The ministry of social affairs has some publications on democracy in Iceland and how to vote: http://eng.felagsmalaraduneyti.is/publications/

If you visit http://www.government.is/ you can also find different ministries and different legislations. The ministry of justice has some laws in English at http://eng.domsmalaraduneyti.is/laws-and-regulations/

You asked specifically about prostitution laws. They have been the same for decades with few changes, that is: Whoever supports himself/herself with prostitution shall be imprisoned for up to 2 years. Whoever pays a child or young person under 18 years of age for sexual intercourse or other sexual contact shall be imprisoned for up to 2 years. Whoever makes it his/her employment or supports himself/herself from other peoples promiscuity shall be imprisoned for up to 4 years. Same punishment for enticing, encouraging or assisting young persons, under 18 years old to support themselves with prostitution. Same punishment also for contributing to anyone moving from the country or to the country for the purpose of supporting himself/herself with promiscuity if that person is under 21 years old or does not know the purpose of the trip. Whoever contributes to with enticement, encouragement or mediation that others have sexual intercourse or other sexual contact for payment or makes money from others promiscuity by renting out housing or something else, shall be imprisoned for up to 4 years but fines or prison for up to one year if there are mitigating circumstances.

As you may notice, there is no punishment for consumers of prostitution if the prostitute is over 18 as well as the punishment for prostitution itself is hairy, say if you support yourself with another job but do prostitution on the side, is it then illegal? I can only remember two cases of anybody being sentenced on these laws. One was a guy who was advertising a dating service and renting out a room by the hour. Another was a prostitute and her boyfriend who were a little to open about what was going on. Mostly the police don't go looking for it.

As you may notice, there is no punishment for consumers of prostitution if the prostitute is over 18 as well as the punishment for prostitution itself is hairy, say if you support yourself with another job but do prostitution on the side, is it then illegal?  I can only remember two cases of anybody being sentenced on these laws.  One was a guy who was advertising a dating service and renting out a room by the hour.  Another was a prostitute and her boyfriend who were a little to open about what was going on.  Mostly the police don't go looking for it.

Excellent! Bonus points for that!

Excerpts from the weapons law:

Nobody can import firearms, ammunition, explosives or fireworks without a license from the state chief of police. A license to trade with firearms, ammunition, explosives or fireworks also includes a license to import.

The state chief of police is allowed to grant those who have a firearms license the license to import firearms and ammunitions for their own use according to stipulations set by the minister.

It is forbidden to import or manufacture firearms that do not bear a serial number from the manufacturer. The state chief of police can overlook that if the firearm has undisputable value as a collectors item or if the applicant is a farmer or veteranarian and the firearm is a one shot, short barrel gun, 22 cal. or less intended for killing livestock.

It is forbidden to import or manufacture automatic or semi-automatic handguns, automatic or semi-automatic rifles, automatic shotguns, semi-automatic or hand loaded multi-shot shotgun with chambers taking more than 2 shots unless it has been altered.

Import and manufacturing of replicas is forbidden if they are hard to distinguish from the original.

Whoever has a license to trade firearms etc. can not sell or in other way hand over a product to others than those who show they are licensed to buy the product. It is forbidden to sell or hand over ammunition that is meant for other weapons than the buyer is licensed to use.

Nobody can own or use firearms unless they have a firearms license. The license is granted by the local chief of police where the applicant resides. The chief of police is allowed to give exemption for license to those who are practising marksmanship with a recognized gun club in a recognized practise area.

A firearms license should be in writing. It should state the name, ID number and address of the holder. It should include a recent picture of the holder. It should list in detail what kind of firearms the holder is licensed to use. It should list all firearms owned by the holder, make, caliber, maximum number of shots and the serial number. The chief of police may set special conditions for a license if he/she thinks it's necessary.

A firearms license should not be issued for more than 10 years at a time or for less time if there is a reason for that. When renewing a firearms license, the chief of police may test the skills of the holder if he/she feels there is a reason to do so.

A license can be granted for firearms to hunt, for marksmanship or for show and collection. Applicant should clarify which kind of license he is applying for. The conditions to granting a firearms license are to be at least 20 years old and have not been stripped of your autonomy (it's possible to overlook the age restriction for marksmanship), to have a clean record to the penal code, laws on alcohol and drugs, laws on hunting and preservation and the gun laws, to have the necessary skills to handle firearms, to be of sound mind and otherwise competent to handle firearms.

The chief of police can grant a firearms license even though applicant does not have a clean record if his violation was minor or a long time since it occurred.

Applicants for firearms licenses shall take a course in handling and using firearms. The minister will set stipulations for these courses and exams. The chief of police can grant a person who resides overseas a temporary license for a firearm.

The owner of a firearm is not allowed to sell, give or hand over his/her firearm without making sure that the person he/she is handing it over to shows that he/she is licensed to own and use it.

Whoever handles or uses firearms should be able to show a firearms license when requested by the police. If he/she can not, the police may confiscate the weapon temporarily until the license is shown. If the weapon was borrowed or rented, a written permission from the owner of the weapon is also required.

Whoever handles or uses firearms should always be extremely careful. It is forbidden to carry firearms in public. When carrying or transporting firearms between locations, they should be unloaded and covered. It is forbidden to carry them concealed under clothes.

Those under the influence of alcohol or other drugs are forbidden to use firearms. When there is reason to believe that somebody is doing so, the police may take them in for medical testing, including blood samples and urine samples and they must comply with that.

It is forbidden to shoot on a road, over a road, from a vehicle, in public or otherwise where it could be dangerous unless it's absolutely necessary.

It is forbidden to shoot on another mans land or shooting over another mans land without permission from the landowner or farmer unless the law says otherwise. There will be no charges filed on that unless filed by the landowner.

The owner or keeper of a firearm and ammunition will be responsible for keeping them in such a way that others can not get to them. When firearms and ammunition are not being used, firearms on one hand and ammunition on the other shall be kept separately and under lock and key. The minister will set stipulations on the safe keeping of firearms and ammunition.

On other weapons. You are not allowed to have switchblades, swords, butterfly knifes, knuckle irons, tazers, ninja stars, crossbows, longbows (except for sports) or any knife with a blade longer than 12cm unless intended for household use or work. These things if caught would be confiscated by the police. You are not allowed to carry a knife in public unless necessary for work or hunting.

Aren't you glad I got the weekend off from work and have time to muddle through this crap for you? :LOL

Sounds like this Leon dude should help me write the article :)

Well, the gun situation is a bummer, but I live in Sweden so I'm used to it I guess...

Sounds like this Leon dude should help me write the article :huh:

Well, the gun situation is a bummer, but I live in Sweden so I'm used to it I guess...

I think gun control makes a lot of sense. Sure it's true that it's people who kill people and not guns all by themselves but guns make it a lot more easy. If somebody gets really mad and loses control, he might just grab the next thing to attack the person he is mad at. If it's a loaded gun, it's very likely that he'll kill the person. If it's a knife, not as likely but he could surely do some damage. If it's only his fists, less damage, less likely to kill. Same with kids. If there are no guns in the house that the kids could play with, they are less likely to accidentally shoot themselves or their friends. If they get really angry and want to abolish somebody, they are less likely to grab a gun and do that if they don't have access to it.

Gun control in Iceland came after the murder rate had quadrupled in one year. Most people turned in their handguns voluntarily. Nobody really complains about the law except some teenagers who mostly want the right to own bb guns, japanese swords or switchblades, not for their usefulness but because they think it makes them cool. Do you think it makes them cool? I don't think so. However, I do think if it were allowed, there would be a lot more stabbings because the cool teenager with his cool switchblade got angry at somebody and there would be more idiots out shooting at pedestrians, cars or pets with their cool bb guns.

Hello, I am a Danish/Swedish guy who is very curious about my Scandinavian island brothers :P Also, I have been thinking about moving there at some point, so I have some questions:

I heard that is common for Icelandians to learn other Scandinavian languages in school? Can I get around with just Danish/Swedish in Iceland?

What is the climate like? How hot does it get in summer and how cold in winter?

Property prices?

Taxes?

American military bases? I am a military geek, so this would be cool for me :)

Drug laws?

Gun laws?

How hard is it to get a job? I'm a musician and I know quite a lot about computers

What are Icelandic women like? :)

Internet infrastructure? Do you have ADSL?

That's all, I think... sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I understand like 10 % of the words :(

Elsku vinir hingað hefur þú ekkert að gera, þú þarft að vinna fyrir þér væni minn og það veistu ekki hvað er.

Elsku vinir hingað hefur þú ekkert að gera, þú þarft að vinna fyrir þér væni minn og það veistu ekki hvað er.

Sorry about Hawk12, he represents a large group of Icelandic morons who sees the world in black/white. In his opinion Danish/Sweedish means somebody who lives on social support (like himself).

Hello, I am a Danish/Swedish guy who is very curious about my Scandinavian island brothers :) Also, I have been thinking about moving there at some point, so I have some questions:

Island är inte i skandinavien, det är bara Norge , Sverige och Finland

I heard that is common for Icelandians to learn other Scandinavian languages in school? Can I get around with just Danish/Swedish in Iceland?

Vi tvingas lära oss danska och de är få som gillar det men flesta talar engelska.

På Island råder golfströmmen, så det blir inte så varmt som i Sverige på sommrana kannske 18 grader. Vintern är inte lika kall som i Sverige kannske -15 grader i Reykjavik. På island blåser det jämnt. Hela året.

Property prices?

Taxes?

American military bases? I am a military geek, so this would be cool for me :)

De är besta jaktstället för flickor........

Drug laws?

Samma som i Sverige

Gun laws?

Samma som i Sverige fast inte så vanligt med vapenskåp ...........

How hard is it to get a job? I'm a musician and I know quite a lot about computers

Förr var det lätt att få jobb i fiskfabrik men nu tror jag att Polackerna har tagit över..............

What are Icelandic women like? :D

De är de vackraste i världen

Visst finnst ADSL och alla har mobiler och är jätteduktiga att skika SMS

That's all, I think... sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I understand like 10 % of the words :LOL

Sorry about Hawk12, he represents a large group of Icelandic morons who sees the world in black/white.  In his opinion Danish/Sweedish means somebody who lives on social support (like himself).

Huh? You don't like us? :LOL

Island är inte i skandinavien, det är bara Norge , Sverige och Finland

Heh, OK. Norden då? Viking-bältet? :lol:

Vi tvingas lära oss danska och de är få som gillar det men flesta talar engelska.

Ah, det är ju alltid något. Men du har bott i Sverige, eller?

Det verkar som om ni ogillar danskar? Nu är jag ju inte heldansk men man kanske inte ska skylta med det?

På Island råder golfströmmen, så det blir inte så varmt som i Sverige på sommrana kannske 18 grader. Vintern är inte lika kall som i Sverige kannske -15 grader i Reykjavik. På island blåser det jämnt. Hela året.

Låter ju helt underbart! Viking-klimat...

De är besta jaktstället för flickor........

Hehe. Men träffar man mycket soldater?

Samma som i Sverige

Ah, OK. Är inte droganvändare själv, så det är mer en teoretisk nackdel.

Samma som i Sverige fast inte så vanligt med vapenskåp ...........

Ah, OK.

Förr var det lätt att få jobb i fiskfabrik men nu tror jag att Polackerna har tagit över..............

Ni har icke-germaniska invandrare alltså? :lol:

De är de vackraste i världen

Många blondiner? :LOL

Visst finnst ADSL och alla har mobiler och är jätteduktiga att skika SMS

Låter bra. Har ni dålig ping till omvärlden med tanke på isolationen?

Hello, I am a Danish/Swedish guy who is very curious about my Scandinavian island brothers ;) Also, I have been thinking about moving there at some point, so I have some questions:

Property prices?

Taxes?

American military bases? I am a military geek, so this would be cool for me :D

Drug laws?

Gun laws?

What are Icelandic women like? :)

That's all, I think... sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, I understand like 10 % of the words ;)

Yeah come to Iceland! We like to beat up foreigners. Unless you come and give out free vodka, then everyone will love you.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0